Great new banner featuring the most iconic of Whitney's looks of all; I have always loved the 1987 Richard Avedon photoshoot, maybe her best of all as well.
I actually have always prefered the chosen picture rather than the one used in the cover of the album "Whitney" and the single "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)". Although the differences are not that many in the end (that star attached to her t-shirt, the position of her arms and legs and a slightly colder but cooler smile).
I would love more pictures to surface, surely there are still many never seen.
Thanks Manish, it is a very refreshing banner and also I feel Whitney's second album is being hugely overlooked, and it should not:
- It was the first female album to debut at #1 in the Billboard Top 200, a milestone that can never be taken away from her.
- Included five Top 10 singles, of those four went to #1, making Whitney at the moment the first artist to pull four number one singles off a single album.
- Let's not forget four of her record-breaking 7 in a row come from this album.
- It dominated the charts worldwide for most of 1987 and 1988, selling 20 million albums.
- The lead single "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" was the jam of the summer and one of the defining songs of the whole 80's decade. It remains second only to "I Will Always Love You" as Whitney's best known classic hit.
Whitney was so big that she had not one but several huge eras, such as the "Whitney" one. It is Whitney's third biggest success (behind "The Bodyguard" and the debut) but is still bigger than most of the career defining eras of 98% of the artists out there. Should receive way more love than it does.
Oh yeah, I still wanna dance with somebody!